Did you know that TPL offers a variety of services for community members experiencing homelessness or inadequate housing?
TPL demographic is largely those experiencing homelessness or inadequate housing.
The Librarian’s Guide to the Homeless conducted a training session for Toronto library employees on how to how to work with people experiencing homelessness.
The first thing to note is that TPL has suspended fees for previously unreturned books, and library cards can be accessed without a permanent address.
There is no fee to enter a TPL and so homeless folks often come to sit in the space. TPL offers many programs that are free and access to library resources such as computer, photocopying, instruments, and more
What can you do with a library card?
- borrow books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and more
- job searching, training and lifelong learning opportunities
- access to free 24/7 Internet and Wi-Fi
- access to computers, printers, and scanners
- relax in quiet spaces to study and read Programs and Classes
- Career and Job Search
- Computer Classes
- English Conversation Circles
- Family Storytime
- Parenting Programs
- Personal Finance Programs
Services can be accessed online or in-person
Adult Literacy Services
Free one-on-one tutoring to English-speaking adults in basic reading, writing and math Call 416-395-5555
Library Settlement Partnership
Meet with a Settlement Worker to find out how to:
- Get help finding a job;
- Access free citizenship and English classes;
- Get a driver’s license and more
Additional programs Currently Offered and the links to the website: