10% to 19% of gift card balances remain unredeemed — and around 6% of gift cards are never even used.
Fix the 6ix is the only organization in Toronto that collects new and partially used gift cards to redistribute or buy items for those in need. Since its inception in 2016, more than $8000 worth of cards has been used to support shelters and those experiencing homelessness including:
- purchasing clothing and hygiene items for Sistering 24 hour women’s drop in,
- purchasing Cineplex movie tickets for Eva’s Place Homeless Youth Shelter,
- purchasing grocery and pharmacy cards to Kennedy House to support their youth work,
- purchasing coats and underwear for clients of The Meeting Place
- distributing food and beverage gift cards to individuals on the street.
Even cards for luxury retailers can be sold to raise funds to support Fix the 6ix’s work!
Before COVID-19, Fix the 6ix collected gift cards via donation boxes in local community coffee shops and businesses. Learn how you can donate your cards during lockdown.
Still have questions? Check our FAQs.